I so frequently have been asked by ladies sliding into my DM’s on instagram about how I started my blog, I have decided to dedicate and entire blog post to all of your questions, so hope that this will be helpful to a lot of you future blogger bosses.
So before I start, I want to call out the bright pink elephant in the room. For some reason, everyone has gotten the impression that blogging is like a freaking walk in the park, go take some pictures, post it to instagram, and “let the proverbial magic” begin. Let me be the first to tell you, if you think blogging is gonna be an easy stroll in the park, you should back it up just a moment sister, take a deep breath, and exhale, and then maybe inhale again. Maybe. ; )
Let’s get down to business:
- Find your Niche: What are you passionate about? Narrow it down to what you love the most, and then go for it. You’ll most likely pivot once you start blogging, but I recommend starting with a maximum of three things that LIGHT YOU UP. Mine are fitness, fashion and travel (with a sprinkle of rescue puppies! ; ) When I started, I also was posting food, and just random shit. Trust me, you’ll pivot. Pick whats calling to you and see what works. Ditch what doesn’t.
- DO YOUR RESEARCH. there are SO many things on youtube, start there and with google. Follow your favorite bloggers and see what they are doing, when they post etc….I am constantly researching the crap out of everything. Do your homework. PERIOD.
- Be Consistent: Wherever you pick to post to (your blog, Facebook, Instagram etc…) find out what works for you and be consistent with your posting schedule. Your true fans will look forward to your posts (trust me even though you don’t think it will happen now, it does!) and can be disappointed if they don’t see your posts on the normal days. They will find somewhere else to gain inspiration or follow etc…. and you’ve worked hard, girlllll, so whatever you do, be consistent. Some days I’ll take of posting on instagram but I’ll still post stories, just to stay in tune with my loyal followers.
- ENGAGE, ENGAGE, ENGAGE. Otherwise known as …. don’t wait for people to come to you. This is a general life rule so many people overlook. Start engaging on posts, like, comment and connect daily!
See someone you look up to? Contact them and pick their brain, if possible. Start commenting on their instagram posts. I love and ABSOLUTELY notice likes and comments on my posts. I freaking love self starters and those sassy little lady bosses who are serious about their work ….I will comment back to every single person that comments on my post. I LOVE to help people just starting out and on recommendation:
(as a sidenote, the first thing I’ll do if you message me for advice…. is look to see if you follow and engage with me. I have noticed an influx of messages asking for advice from gals who don’t follow me on instagram! WE NOTICE these things! ; )
People like to help people that are showing support for their work and are genuine fans. I would 194% tell you to engage on posts for a few weeks before contacting someone)…thats just my advice! Please think about giving before you give. Life Rule Numero Uno…. You’re welcome.
Let your personality show through and be raw.
I CANNOT EMPHASIZE THIS ENOUGH!
… I feel like a lot of bloggers try to fit in with other bloggers. F THAT. No one wants a carbon copy….OF ANYONE. I’ve lived my life living outside the lines, and its not gonna stop with blogging. Are you witty? …. showcase that. Great at Do It Yourself Projects?… SWEET! People love funny, raw, witty, awkward, different …. BE….. YOU. Remember Katelyn Bristowe, on the Bachelorette? She was unapologetic about her entire, welllllll…… EVERYTHING. She set records for show views because she is who she is. It is so refreshing to stand out in a world full of people trying to blend in. NO apologies needed, people will flock to your “weird”!
I try to write like I speak and hopefully that translates. ; )
8. PHOTOS. Trust me. I just deleted 9 thousand instagram photos from when I started. I started out posting crap, and I’m completely embarrassed. I have friends who ask me advice sometimes what to do to help engagement. The first thing I look at is their photos. Are they crisp and clear?
NO? well hey girl. hit that delete button, stat REEEEEDO.
9. Are you telling a story? … people like to connect with people and follow your journey. If you are just starting, you need to be connecting through a continual story.
You are going to find people that think your “story” is worth following, if you tell it the best possible way.
Tell a story and post the best possible photos.
10. I would tell you to go into this for passion… not the money. If you are truly doing this for money, I don’t think you are going to enjoy it. You know when they say when you love what you do, the money will come right? With that said, I would not plan on making a penny your first year. Provide Provide Provide Content, and then companies will start reaching out.
I also completely recommend reaching out to companies you want to work with as well, why wait for them to come to you? Again, life doesnt work that way, sister friend.
THE BOTTOM LINE:
Blogging is a slow crawl. It takes a lot of time and effort like anything else, and you 100% get out what you put in. I think it also needs to be something you would do as a hobby, or just as a creative outlet. The minute it stops being fun, (and seems like you want to throat chop yourself), it’s time to look to new ventures. For me so far, it has been fun adventures and new connections.
PS, here are some resources I use for blogging, as I pretty much researched everything organically from the beginning and these are my faves, there are also a ton blogging courses which may be helpful!
- YouTube (literally the search is unlimited, type in blog anything)
- Podcasts: Being Boss, Side Hustle School, Biz Time with Asia
Alright kids, I’m 3 glasses of wine in, and this kid needs a nap.. Hope these tips are helpful!
Please add on if you’re a blogger or have any kind of additional advice on what has helped you! Lets all help each out!